Sunday, May 11, 2008

One of those days

Yesterday was one of those days where at the end you just say, "whew, I am glad today is done." It wasn't really all that bad but it sure could have been better.

It started about 11:00 when the tractor I was using sprung a hydraulic leak. Of course that kind of thing always happens at 11:00am on Saturday. Most farm supply places close at noon. So I had to rush to Friona to get them to fix me up with a part. "Cha-ching" $100 right there.

Got that fire put out.....

Well, I have been planting milo and in the field I was on, I was struggling all day to get the planter to work right in the conditions I had. Plus a wheel fell of the planter. Not a major wheel, just one on one row.

Keep going without it. Tractor is almost out of fuel, not going to make it to the end of the day.

So I have to go run over to my granddad's to get some fuel. Oh, and before I do that I have to wrestle the tank up into the trailer.

"Grunt" strain "mumble, mumble, stinking price of fuel......"

Go get fuel, and while I am doing that I get a spare wheel to fix that problem. Tractor fueled up, wheel back on, all systems go. Put more seed in.

"Ring-ring" Dawson: "Hey! I am in Texico sitting in the road trying to get turned on the Amarillo high way and the clutch isn't working on the truck!!!! What do I do? I can't get it in gear! Can I start it in gear to get it off the road?"
Me: "Yes!"
Dawson: "It won't start! I need somebody to come and pull me out off the highway!"
Me: "Well, turn your flashers on and I will head that way. It'll be 20 minutes."

Man I hope he gets it out of the road before I get there....

Long story short, he calls saying he got it started and can make it out to the house. Turns out a bolt fell out of the clutch linkage and we fixed it in about 2 minutes. Whew! That was about how my day went Saturday. And besides all that Amanda went to Texline to visit her folks and aunts so it has been a really weird weekend all around.


3 comments:

  1. Wow! You did have "one of those days" but I'm glad nothing turned out to be too major, especially on the truck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like quite the day alright. Glad everything was able to work out in the end w/o being to costly.

    What's your thoughts on the Farm bill being tossed around in congress. IS 750K a good limit for subsidies or is 200K better. Does it affect you? I know this primarily has to do with large farms but it may still affect you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that last comment was from Aaron sorry...so is this one :)

    ReplyDelete