Saturday, January 10, 2009

How to get from Point A to Point B, Murphy's Law part Deux


View Larger Map

Not only did we have to deal with Murphy on Tuesday, he rode with me down to New Orleans on a milk run. First it is about 9,000,000 miles to New Orleans, or something like that. Before I left I looked up the milk plant on Google maps, and even checked out the street level views, which by the way is REALLY cool. I thought I had it all figured out and there wouldn't be any trouble finding this plant. Turns out I missed it on my first shot into town by 1 block. Then I messed around 45 minuts being lost. See map for a somewhat accurate portrayal of my tour of downtown N.O.

Well, when I finally got to the plant and put in my normal 2 hr wait, the plant employee said, "Where is yo' scale ticket?"

"My what?"

"I's can't unload yo' without a scale ticket. Gotsta go to the pilut out of town."
(Pilot truck stop for you non Cajun speakers)

Rrrrrrr after talking to another driver I find out I have to go 30 MILES out of town to get weighed and come back! (Stop and go traffic both ways) I can't believe this, but have learned that is the way it is in the milk hauling business. Everybody is supposed to know everything, but nobody knows anything. So my grand scheme of getting there about 9 am and leaving by lunch turned into an all day ordeal, and leaving town about 4 pm. What a mess. NO more milk hauling for me.

3 comments:

  1. I really hope this is NOT Murphy's year. So far it seems he has been tagging along with several. I don't remember too much about N.O., since that was in '76, but do remember always being confused. But then, that is my normal state. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can do is laugh. Hope you and Amanda can get back to getting directions straight soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm glad all that zigzagging led you back through Dallas! I enjoyed breakfast with you. I'm kinda sad you're not going to do milk anymore because those kinds of stops will be even more rare. But I can understand not wanting the hassle!

    By the way, I have a new blog. I changed to blogspot like everyone else. It is http://rachelcembry.blogspot.com. I'm really going to update more than once a year, I promise!

    ReplyDelete