Thursday, February 5, 2009

Our foster care classes

I have had several folks here locally ask how the classes are going, or even asking if we have started yet. So I realized that maybe I needed to update the folks on my little blogosphere.

We are gaining about 1/2 inch per week. That is 1/2 inch of paper work and training material every week. Georgia Pacific has to be very pleased with the Dept of Family and Protective Services. We had a class Tuesday and Wednesday, so we stayed in Amarillo overnight. I feel like I am learning a lot, and there is a lot about the foster care system I had never realized. Most of what we have learned up to this point has been about the emotional and relationship aspects of being foster parents. How to deal or not to deal with birth parents, behavior problems to expect, developmental delays to expect, your foster care team, etc.

Next week we have another Tuesday-Wednesday class and it will be discipline. Tueday: what you can't do, Wednesday: what you can do. Later this month we will do all our first aid and CPR training.

We have done our fingerprints, and fire inspection, and we have most of our paperwork turned in. (birth certificates, licenses and such) Our trainer is coming to look at our place next Thursday, and we are supposed to have all our stuff like locks, and safety stuff ready. We need to buy a crib and some basic baby stuff soon because we are supposed to have that ready also.

Feb 28th is the last class, and after that they will transfer us to the Hereford office and hopefully there won't be so many trips to Amarillo after that. I'm not sure what will happen after that because we will get our own "home developer" and that will be who we work with. I really think that will be about all the training, and we will have to wait until April until we are certified Foster Parents.

5 comments:

  1. Does it feel weird to be considering buying baby stuff? April huh? Guess we'll be certified parents at the same time. Although sounds like ya'll will be much more certified than us. No half inch stacks of paper sitting around here. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have my two huge thick binders of stuff from the PRIDE classes I went to...when I eventually get back to being ready to do the foster care thing, hopefully I can just use the same ones and save a couple of trees!

    It's amazing all the things that have to be done in this process! But it sounds like you are steadily checking off the list!
    It's nice to have a schedule that you can flex around all these requirements. That was one of my main problems...it was hard to have time to take care of all that stuff and go to the all the necessary trainings when working 10-11 hours a day at school. I think once I finish my masters it will be better...also having the chance to observe ya'll and how it actually goes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK! I listened to your music...sounded good. Good luck on your foster care adventure! My first wife and I did that (fostered) for some time. Nothing official though, so no government payments nor government over?sight. We helped several teenagers make it to adulthood. It was important.

    Is it warm down there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been very warm. I can't believe it is February. Today it is cloudy and windy and we may get some rain for the first time since October. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in MI it got to about 50 degrees yesterday. It is much cooler here today. I am enjoying the spring like weather for a change. It has been a long cold and snowy winter. Mi will have quite a lot of moisture to start the growing season. It remains to be seen whether or not we will have enough during the summer. I hope you got your rain. Spring is still a long way off here in the MI tundra...but the recent weather seems hopeful.

    ReplyDelete