Monday, March 1, 2010

Random thoughts from a java junkie

I am addicted to coffee. Not caffeinated coffee, just coffee. I don't know if it is all the cold damp weather we have been having or what. Seems like I want a cup ALL the time. Usually make a pot of decaf in the morning, and a lot of the afternoons do it again if I am home. And I have been home a lot in the afternoons.

We are wet again. We had some light showers last night, so everything is kinda sticky and messy again. 99% of the snow is melted. Only a few little spots from the big drifts are left. When they are gone we will have had snow on the ground somewhere since before Christmas. Unusual for us no doubt.

Why are some habits so easy for children to break, and others are so hard? Couple weeks ago I was getting tired of wiping the milk off D's chin when he was drinking. I told him a couple times to drink more careful, and he did. And kept it up, and does a pretty good job of drinking carefully. The other day we switched M. to the other side of the table for our meals and she adapted after only a couple meals, meanwhile Amanda and myself keep setting the table with her plate on the wrong side. But when it comes to bad habits we wish they would break, like asking the same stupid questions and getting the same response from us (silence) for months they just can't stop.

Interesting story: We were in Vega, TX Sunday eating at Dairy Queen, and we ran into M and D's grandmother! The one M. remembers and mentions from time to time. This grandmother was coming to the visits with bio-mom last summer until rights were terminated. Thankfully the grandma used discretion and did not jump out and make contact with the kids. She got my attention and visited with me a moment and said she realized she couldn't be the kids "grandma" anymore but would like to have some pictures or something. She also said she was glad the kids got to stay with us. (huh?) We talked it over and decided it would be alright if the kids could say hi to her right then. Anyway it was a very strange situation in a way. We had talked about trying to make contact with her anyway to just keep her updated on the kids, so we got her email and will send her pictures and stuff. Amanda is going to set them up a private facebook account so their bio-mom can see pictures too. (we know she has an account)

D. acted very strange around this grandmother, like he was kinda mad at her. I don't know how he could hardly remember her, but he wouldn't hardly look at her for a while. Very different behavior for him.

I know everybody is tired of hearing about it............
I am thinking my bargain Steiger tractor may be like my old Ford pickup. Fix Or Repair Daily will be it's motto. I have been having fits trying to fix a problem with the hydraulic system. It is getting air in the system and I am not sure where. I have changed some hose couplers, changed the oil and filter, and now I am working on the hydraulic pump itself. I have a $190 seal kit ordered for it, hope that will be it! I really think after I get all these little problems fixed it will be a good tractor. Oh and I think it needs engine injectors too! I think I will see if I can get a year put on it first as that could be couple thousand dollars for that repair job. So far it has had:

4 new tires $$$

Shop fixed:
new turbocharger
valves set
exhaust manifold fixed(after they messed it up)

And I have worked on:
new fuel gauge and sender
new hour-meter
new a/c hoses and charged up system
put in used radio
hydraulic valves overhauled
windows tinted to help cut down on heat, not for style! (But it does look cool!)
started working on brakes
put in autosteer kit

2 comments:

  1. Ummm I think all that tractor repair talk just went flying about a mile over my head. I too confess to the coffee addiction and I've definitely noticed myself really wanting it more because it is cold. Nothing like a good cup of joe to steam up your insides on a wet, yucky day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting interaction at the DQ. Hope your Big Boy tractor will finally get all its fix-its done for a LONG time.

    ReplyDelete