Sunday, April 15, 2012

Out with the old and in with the new.

Well almost new that is. This old Lincoln welder has served this farm very well through the years. My granddad bought it used back in the mid-60s and built his barn with it. They were very well made and very good welders. Going by the serial # this one was made about 1953-4 They had the same engine that a lot of the original military Jeeps had in them. A very simple Continental 4 cyl gas engine. This is the welder that I used all summer to build my corrals. It was just about worn out, and was using lots and lots of oil. I mean you would have to add a quart about every hour! Then one day I was using it and really overheated it bad. Burned up the engine :-( Dummy me. I had already resolved to overhaul the engine OR get another welder first chance I had. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it might be better to upgrade, to a newer welder. An overhaul was going to cost at least a couple thousand $.

So the past few months I had been casually shopping around and watching for used welders in the classifieds, and at auctions. I also spent quite a bit of time drooling over the brand new ones at Tractor Supply and in Northern Tool catalogs. I had about decided if I didn't find a good used one by this summer, I would just go ahead a get a new one.

Lo and behold I was able to buy this Honey at an auction Saturday! Almost brand new, the hour meter said it had only been run 7 hours. That is like 700 miles on a new car! And not only that I got it for a cool $1000 less than a new one! How would you like to get a car with 700 miles for 30% off new price?
The old welder you had to crank by hand (like a Model T.....) I wore plenty of blisters on my hands trying to get it started through the years. No more of that nonsense, this one is electric start, pull the choke and hit the switch, ROAR!! away it goes. My first project:

On the corrals this was the last little bit I was working on when I burned up the old welder. It is a cattle-backup-preventer-thingy. They walk under it going through the leadup, and when they try to back up it catches them right on their bottom. Saves a lot of back and forth and back and forth keeping them pushed up.

8 comments:

  1. As exciting as this sweet purchase is, I think I need some Fenton/Mikali/Daniel pictures and updates! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, come on, don't tell me your heart didn't skip a beat when you saw the picture of that new welder?

    You may get something in the snail mail next day or two or three.

    Congratulations on finding another job! Sounds like a move in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go. You did find a good deal. I do agree with Rachel though. Pictures of those cute kids are pretty hard to beat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete