Monday, February 11, 2013

More busted knuckles

I was so proud of my big red tractor until about a week ago I decided to change the transmission oil.  Since I bought it used I had no idea how long it had been since it was changed, so it is good to start out fresh.  AND sometimes when you do stuff like this you FIND.........


No, I did not find a quarter in the transmission.  I found these ground up metal shavings.  Rut-roh.  Here we go again with my tractors.  One thing after another. Is this one going to be the Big Red Lemon???????

Well after quite a bit of fretting around and asking lots of questions on an Ag discussion forum that I read a lot, we finally decided it was probably some shims from behind a bearing holder.  (red circle, goes in blue circle hole)


Problem is as usual they put this part on the assembly line first, then built the tractor around it.  To access this little feature, took some very difficult contortions on my part, and removing some of the driveline parts.  And when I finally got to it, yep, that is where the metal came from.  No doubt.  Quite a bit of relief, even though it is a hassle.  Because I think, I am pretty sure, I hope, crossed fingers, I caught the problem before it really became a bigger problem.  Always good procedure to do regular maint. like transmission oil changes, and catch stuff early.

This holder had a little groove worn in it where the shim (very thin doughnut washer like thing) had spun around and come out, letting the bearing race turn in the housing.

New one is about $575.  No problem, just throw it in the handy dandy metal lathe, and smooth it up a little.


Here is where it came out of.



This is what it holds.  It is hard to tell on the camera, but that bearing is a big one at almost 4" across.  These transmissions are built really heavy.  The holder sandwiches the shims against the bearing race, keeping the bearing just the right tension.  (bearing race is the bright silver ring outside the rollers)  The race had just started to get a little loose in this bore.  But I have a plan.


 I had to set up a dial indicator that will tell me approximately how thick of a shim to put in.  I have an assortment of shims ordered.  When they come in, I will start with what the indicator tells me, plus a little extra.  Then I will assemble it, check, and adjust from there.  It is important to get just the right pre-load on it, as setting it up too tight and it may overheat the bearing, too loose and it will beat out the bore where it rides.




When I put it all back together I am going to try a special locking glue that is made just for these types of situations.  It is supposed to hold bearing races and not let them spin.  Fingers crossed, I won't have any more problems.   

4 comments:

  1. Your mechanical mind should win a Nobel prize! It is truly a phenomenon!! Although I had no idea what you were talking about 95% of the post (the only word I recognized was 'transmission') the takeaway is that I have one smart brother! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ehh? Maybe i can touch the computer to my Forbes's and absorb all this knowledge through osmosis because the traditional methods of learning are not working for me on this particular subject. I think my take away from this blog is that if i ever need a thingymabob's whatchamacallit replaced i will be contacting you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forehead not Forbes. Auto correct is such a wonderful feature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can concur with Rachel and Holly. Don't know a thing you said, but glad you do and it works. Wow! You just keep amazing me over and over.

    ReplyDelete